Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Everything is in Front of You

2009 Cross Country National Championships - Reno

The other night I was watching Marco running some hard 400’s on grass. Ever since he started this cross country thing he’s had a habit of looking over his shoulder. The other night on his 400’s either the light was right or my eye’s finally saw it but I saw the results. Each time he looked over his shoulder he lost two steps to the runner in front or to the side of him. He would make up the two steps but at what cost. At first like I’ve done in the past I wanted to catch him after one of the efforts and explain what I saw. But he’s taught me over the past few months that he doesn’t respond to that kind of thing. So I waited. Before his race on the weekend I sent him a text message because I couldn’t be there. The only thing I told him was “The race is always in front of you. What’s behind you doesn’t matter. Only what’s in front” Isn’t that really true for everything we do. We can learn from what’s behind us but we can never go back so why even look back. The best things will happen up front. They always do.

It’s a good life….

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment