Sunday, September 19, 2010

Running Is Universal

The last two times I've been to China I've been reminded that running is Universal. Both trips included a run where I was joined mid run by a local runner. In both runs my run partner didn't speak English and I certainly don't speak Chinese. The language we spoke was running. First is the language of pace. Miles/minute or Kilometers/minute are the same no matter where you go. Pace is pace and if two runners are running the same pace then they are speaking the same language. But was is even more amazing is space. Runners have a unique ability to measure space. We both see the person on the bike and instinctively we know which way to move. To know that you have to know which way the other runner is moving. Again, it's universal.

It's a good life....
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment